Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Think or Swim

You know, about a year ago I looked at this tool, but didn't dig in. Over the last few days, I've really found that this trading platform gives you plenty of rope to, you know, to strangle yourself. The interface is loaded with tiny, but useful buttons that are almost hidden in plain sight. This isn't a critique, just an observation. Since I'm running on a Linux box, I'm going to focus on this system and see where I can pull the details that I like out of Strategy Desk and apply them here.

The fundamental depth of Think or Swim comes from the ability to write your own scripts. Strategy Desk has some of this too, but I'm hopeful to be able to write conditional checks. For instance, check to see of the average daily volume has been exceeded, then show me stocks with an oversold stochastic condition. It might be there, but I haven't dug deep enough yet. The platform, looks more sophisticated and quite possible has what I'm looking for.

If you've seen a PDF of the thinkScript language reference, I'd appreciate a link; I'd like to get a printed version. Also, drop some comments or suggested references if you've found some resources that have been useful.